Candidates for federal office must submit the following to qualify:
- Declaration of Candidacy - qualifying form, filed either on paper or online (see below)
- Qualifying Fee
Candidates must meet the Minimum Qualifications for Public Office.
Click the appropriate link below and fill out the linked form. You will receive a Declaration of Candidacy and fee payment invoice via email after the form information is received and processed. Online qualifiers are not required to submit a Declaration of Candidacy on paper.
NOTE: If applicable (see above), complete your Appointment of Principal Campaign Committee and Statement of Economic Interests before filling out the form. If applicable and we cannot verify that you filed them, then we will notify you via email and require you to do so to proceed with qualifying.
Qualifying fees are based on 2% of the base salary for each office. The following calculations are subject to change if found to be incorrect.
U.S. Senator: $3,480.00
U.S. Representative: $3,480.00
Lt. Governor: $1,394.68
Attorney General: $3,520.00
Secretary of State: $1,756.10
State Treasurer: $1,756.10
State Auditor: $1,756.10
Commissioner of Agriculture & Industries: $1,743.89
State Senator: $1,034.68
State Representative: $1,034.68
State Board of Education (Seats 2, 4, 6, and 8): $360.00
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court (Places 5, 6): $3,500.00
Circuit Court Judge: $2,800.00
District Court Judge: $2,780.00
District Attorney: $2,800.00
Public Service Commission (Places 1, 2): $1,989.77
SDEC Member: $50.00
WARNING: Paper qualifying forms and associated fees must be received in our office prior to the 5:00 p.m. qualifying deadline regardless of postmark.
If fee payment is returned for insufficient funds, closure of account, etc. your qualification for office will be null and void unless payment is remedied before the close of the qualifying period.
Be sure to send any mailings via CERTIFIED MAIL.
Alabama Democratic Party Headquarters address:
501 Adams Avenue
Montgomery, AL 36104
Alabama Democratic Party mailing address:
PO Box 950
Montgomery, AL 36101
NOTE: The Alabama Democratic Party Headquarters will be open weekdays from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. and closed daily from 1:30 P.M. to 2:30 P.M.
Important Links & Resources
Declaration of Candidacy [PDF Document]
- Appointment of Principal Campaign Committee - filed electronically with the Secretary of State’s Elections Division. Go to fcpa.alabamavotes.gov and click on “Candidate Committee Registration” to begin.
- Statement of Economic Interests - filed with the Alabama Ethics Commission no later than five days after qualifying.
- Judicial Candidates Only - File a Disclosure Statement of Financial Interests with the Clerk of the Alabama Supreme Court: judicial.alabama.gov/docs/fin_disclosure_form.pdf
- Candidate filing guidelines: https://www.sos.alabama.gov/sites/default/files/Candidate%20Filing%20Guidelines%202022.pdf
- Candidate filing guide: https://www.sos.alabama.gov/sites/default/files/election-2022/Candidate%20Filing%20Guide%2018th%20Edition.pdf
- 2022 Filing Calendar: https://www.sos.alabama.gov/sites/default/files/2022%20FCPA%20Filing%20Calendar-20210527.pdf
- Registering as a candidate: https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/registering-candidate/
- FEC Campaign Guide for candidates:
- FEC Form 2 - Statement of Candidacy
- FEC Form 1 - Statement of Organization
- US House Financial Disclosure - House Committee on Ethics
- Call 202-225-7103
- US Senate Financial Disclosure - Senate Select Committee on Ethics
- Call 202-224-2981